|Perk||Capture winged beasts|
|Stacks up to||Does not stack|
|“||They keep falling for it!||”|
A Bird Trap is a Survival item used to catch the 3 flying birds, Red Birds, Crows, and Snowbirds. Traps can be baited with seeds to significantly increase the chance of catching a bird, though it is not a requirement. A Bird Trap is crafted using 3 Twigs and 4 Silk and requires a Science Machine to prototype. Using a Feather Hat will increase the number of birds landing to speed up the process.
Captured birds will become an inventory item and are currently the only way to place a bird in a Bird Cage. These cages will hold a single bird of any type. The bird will always produce Eggs when fed Meats, which is especially good for about-to-spoil meats, and when fed certain fruits or vegetables, they will produce the corresponding Crop Seeds with a 50% chance of acquiring 1 normal Seeds as well.
It appears that there is a chance a trap will fail to catch a bird and simply break, leaving the bird that triggered the trap lying on the ground for a brief time before flying away. The failed trap can still be picked up and reset, but this still costs one durability use. It is currently unknown whether the chance of a trap failing is based on a certain probability, bird type, or player proximity.
- Following the Naughty and Nice update, Feathers and Morsels can no longer be acquired directly using the trap. Instead, murdering the bird while it is in the inventory is now necessary.
- In old science system, the Bird Trap used to cost 30 Research Points to craft.
- Sometimes birds will glitch out of traps after being caught.
- Sometimes the trap will disappear, but it still show up on the map. The player can press space when near it to get it back.
- If the player places the traps with seeds, saves, and leaves the game, upon return there's a big chance two or three traps will have captured birds.