There are three types of Mushrooms; Red, Green, and Blue. They can be used as vegetables/filler in Crock Pot recipes, burned as Fuel, or given to a Pig to produce Manure. Each mushroom has different effects on Health, Hunger, and Sanity, therefore, a player needs to know the advantages and disadvantages of their effects and think hard before consuming them.
Mushrooms can only be picked at certain times of the day:
Each Mushroom will re-grow after 10–20 hours of Rain. They can also be dug up at any time using a shovel to obtain two mushrooms, but mushroom spawn will be destroyed. Mushrooms do not grow during winter.
Red Mushrooms Edit
Red Mushrooms have the worst effects of all the mushrooms, both raw and cooked.
Red Mushrooms can be dropped on the ground to indirectly damage Mobs if they eat it.
Green Mushrooms Edit
Green Mushrooms are typically found in Forests and Marshes, and can only be picked at Dusk. Chopping down a Green Mushtree will also yield a Green Cap in addition to the wood.
Blue Mushrooms Edit
Blue Mushrooms are typically found in Grasslands and Marshes and can only be picked at Night. Chopping down a Blue Mushtree will also yield a Blue Cap in addition to the wood.
Reign of Giants Edit
- Mushrooms were added in A Little Rain Must Fall update.
- Rings of Mushrooms can be found in some worlds. These resemble Fairy Rings that can be found in reality.
- Blue Mushrooms are good for regenerating health when raw, or retaining sanity when cooked. Green Mushrooms are good for going insane when raw, or regaining sanity at minimum cost when cooked. Red Mushrooms are good for giving to Pigmen, luring gobblers and using as Crock Pot filler.
- Although they are considered vegetables in Don't Starve, mushrooms are body parts of fungi, and are technically not plants. However, they act more like vegetables than anything else during digestion.
- The red mushroom's appearance and toxicity is likely based on the Amanita, which include some of the most toxic fungi known.
- The raw Green Mushroom's insanity is likely based on real life Psychedelic Mushrooms.
- If a mushroom is picked as it sinks into the ground, the player will receive a mushroom but the hole the mushroom left would look like the mushroom is still there and sleeping. The player will still view the mushroom as if it were picked already.
|Naturally spawning world objects|
|Plants||Berry Bush • Carrot • Cave Banana Tree • Cave Lichen • Flower (Evil Flower, Fern) • Grass • Light Flower • Lureplant • Mandrake • Mushrooms • Mushtree • Plant • Reeds • Sapling • Spiky Bush • Tree • Totally Normal Tree|
|Mobs and Mob Housing||Beehive • Hound Mound • Pond • Pig House • Pig King • Pig Torch • Rabbit Hutch • Rundown House • Slurtle Mound • Spider Den • Spilagmite • Splumonkey Pod • Tallbird Nest • Walrus Camp • Worm Hole|
|Inanimate||Ancient Pseudoscience Station • Ancient Statue • Basalt• Blueprint • Boulder • Gramaphone • Grave • Harp Statue • Headstone • Suspicious Dirt Pile • Marble Pillar • Marble Tree • Maxwell's Door • Maxwell Statue • Maxwell's Light • Merm Head • Nightmare Light • Nightmare Lock • Nightmare Throne • Obelisk • Ornate Chest • Pig Head • Pillars • Relic • Sinkhole • Skeleton • Stalagmite • Touch Stone • Thulecite Wall|
|Things||Box Thing • Crank Thing • Eye Bone • Metal Potato Thing • Ring Thing • Wooden Thing|