|Crafting||×1 ×4 ×1|
|Perk||Helps locate Things and Maxwell's Door|
|Stacks up to||Does not stack|
|“||I wonder if it gets the hockey game?||”|
The Rod increases in pitch and speed depending how close a Thing or the Door is. It also radiates rings of different colors, again depending on how far away the target item is. In Sandbox Mode, it may take some time to locate Maxwell's Door, as the Rod may find a Thing first. If held during a storm, there is a small chance the Rod can be struck by lightning. For a short time, this will cause the Rod to react as if a Thing or the Door were very close by.
In Adventure Mode, the Divining Rod is in a Divining Rod Holder directly next to where the character spawns. Once the character takes the Rod, the Holder will disappear a few seconds later. It also acts as a key to unlock a complete Wooden Thing and Nightmare Lock, requiring the player to take the Divining Rod from the holder in the beginning.
The Divining Rod is also an item that Krampus and Splumonkeys will not steal and Eyeplants will not eat, and it can't be taken through Maxwell's Door. If it is one of the items chosen to travel with the player, it will be converted into Ash after the player uses the Wooden Thing.
- The Divining Rod was added in the The End of the Beginning update.
- This was the Radio Maxwell was using to communicate with Wilson in the Forbidden Knowledge video, though attached to a stick.
- Divining Rods in real life are branched twigs that were used to locate sources of ground water and mineral ores.
- The Divining Rod's sound effects are made by a tambura, an Indian string instrument used to create drone sounds.
- The Divining Rod's description, "There must be some kind of way out of here," is a reference to the Jimi Hendrix song "All Along the Watchtower".