|“||So full of potential.||”|
Tallbird Eggs can be found in Tallbird Nests. Upon collecting the egg, the Tallbird that owns the nest and all nearby Tallbirds will become aggressive and chase the player for a short while. After 17 hours, the owning Tallbird will proceed to lay new egg in its nest. During night time and sometimes during the day, Tallbirds will curl up and fall asleep on their nest. The player can push the bird and collect the Egg. However, this will wake the Tallbird. If the nest's Tallbird is killed and the Egg is left untouched for a few days, it will hatch into a new Tallbird. If the Egg is placed by a fire, it will change into a Hatching Tallbird Egg and can be hatched into a Smallbird.
Fried Tallbird EggEdit
A Fried Tallbird Egg is made by cooking a Tallbird Egg over a Campfire, Fire Pit or Star. It can also be used as an ingredient in a variety of Crock Pot recipes. Unlike a raw Tallbird Egg, a Fried Tallbird Egg will spoil and stacks to 20.
Hatching Tallbird EggEdit
A Hatching Tallbird Egg is a Tallbird Egg that has started to hatch after being placed near a Campfire or Fire Pit for at least 10 seconds. Hatching takes roughly 3 days and, when hatched, it will turn into a Smallbird. The Hatching Tallbird Egg can be eaten, providing the player with 23 Hunger and 5 Health, and cooking it over a fire produces Fried Tallbird Egg.
The hatching egg feels comfortable during the Day and Dusk, but at Night it becomes cold and needs to be placed by a fire to be kept warm. If it is not kept warm at night for as long as 30 seconds it will freeze and turn into a Wet Goop. On the other hand, if placed by a fire during the Day it will become too hot and after 30 seconds will become a Cooked Morsel. Eggs are neither cold nor hot next to a fire during the Dusk. The player can safely pick up the Egg and move it to avoid the Egg becoming cooked or gooped. However, it will not continue hatching unless it is on the ground. During winter the egg cannot be placed away from fire during the day without becoming cold.
- A good way of getting it hatched is to sleep through the night without using a fire.
- It will not reset the hatching process if picked up, so don't worry about moving it around.
- Pigs, like Spiders, can and will eat this as a Food source, followed by a comment "mmm, beaky".
- The Smallbird will grow into a Smallish Tallbird after 11 days.
- The Smallish Tallbird will grow to an adult after another 11 days.
- The full-grown Tallbird will have the same aggressive behavior as any other Tallbirds.
- When a Tallbird Egg is picked up, examining it will give the standard quotation based on the last state it was in when on the ground. For example, picking up a Tallbird Egg when day comes after it was near a fire will result in its examination indicating it is too hot.
- As raw Tallbird Eggs do not spoil, they make an excellent food source to keep as backup supplies near Touch Stones or Meat Effigies.
- Although Endothermic Fires and Fire Pits are meant to cool their surroundings, they still overheat hatching eggs during the day and warm them at night. (RoG)