|“||Oh shut UP, will you?||”|
A Mandrake is a very rare, passive Mob found in Grasslands and Caves. On average, only 2-5 Mandrake will spawn per world. They often spawn together in the same area, so finding one will usually result in finding them all. Mandrake can be used to make the Pan Flute. They can also be used to make Mandrake Soup in a Crock Pot.
When picked at dusk or night (or when underground), it will turn into a living Mandrake, following the player around and constantly making noise until morning, after which it will replant itself on the spot. When picked during the day, it will die instantly and can be obtained as an item. The Mandrake cannot be replanted and is unable to be fed to an "imprisoned" bird. There are also no "Mandrake Seeds" in the game, so it cannot be farmed or reproduced.
Raw or Cooked Mandrake does not spoil. Raw Mandrake heals 60 Health and 75 Hunger when eaten, and puts the player and all nearby Mobs to sleep (until the next cycle of the day; from dusk until night, from night until daytime, from daytime until dusk).
Cooking a Mandrake will also put the player to sleep. Eating a Cooked Mandrake restores 100 Health and 150 Hunger, as well as putting the player and all nearby Mobs to sleep. Eating Mandrake Soup restores 100 Health, 150 Hunger, and 5 Sanity, but does not put the player to sleep.
Pigs, Gobblers, and Pengulls will eat Cooked Mandrakes left on the ground, putting themselves and all nearby Mobs to sleep until the start of the next day (no matter what time it is). Raw Mandrakes will not put the player to sleep. Pigs will also produce Manure (as they would with other Vegetable), if Mandrake is eaten. Gobblers will eat Mandrakes that are still planted in the ground, putting all nearby Mobs to sleep (except the player).
When picked, rooted Mandrakes will follow the player (through Wormholes as well), hopping around and making a lot of noise. Like most followers, they will back away when the player gets too close. If the Mandrake is attacked, they will run away from the player indefinitely.
|Will put the player to sleep.|
|Will put all nearby Mobs to sleep. Cannot be given directly.|
- The Mandrake's sleep effect can be used to skip difficult times of the game (such as Winter). Mandrakes cause the player to sleep for 0.75 days when cooked and 1 day when eaten, so 3 Mandrakes will result in skipping around 5 days.
- Live Mandrakes can be eaten by Pengulls and Werepigs, which will still trigger the sleep effects.
- The Mandrake (raw and cooked) is one of the few foods in the game that do not spoil, along with raw Tallbird Egg, Guardian's Horn, and Deerclops Eyeball. However, Mandrake Soup will spoil.
- Ghosts will often float above Mandrakes.
- The Mandrake is a real plant that was surrounded in myth in European folklore. Its roots can bear a vaguely human shape and was said to scream when uprooted.
- Even though Mandrakes are flammable, they will not turn to Ashes when killed with a Fire Dart.
- (PC) When the player picks up a Mandrake using the Spacebar, the Mandrake can be planted again, but if the player tries to pick the Mandrake when it has been replanted, the character will start to shake out of control upon attempting and will be unable to interact with the Mandrake again.
- (PC) Mandrakes spawned into the player's inventory can be replanted when 'dropped' on the ground.
|Hostile Creatures||Batilisk • Cave Spider • Clockwork Bishop • Clockwork Rook • Clockwork Knight • Dangling Depth Dweller • Depths Worm • Frog • Guardian Pig • Ghost • Shadow Creature • Hound (Red Hound • Blue Hound) • Killer Bee • Lureplant • MacTusk • Merm • Mosquito • Spider • Spider Warrior • Spitter • Tallbird • Tentacle (Big Tentacle • Baby Tentacle) • Wee MacTusk • (Poison Birchnut Tree • Varg )|
|Boss Monsters||Ancient Guardian • Deerclops • Spider Queen • Treeguard • (Bearger • Dragonfly • Moose/Goose )|
|Neutral Animals||Bee • Beefalo • Bunnyman (Beardlord) • Koalefant • Krampus • Pengull • Pig (Werepig) • Rock Lobster • Snurtle • Slurtle • Smallish Tallbird • Splumonkey • (Buzzard • Catcoon • Volt Goat )|
|Passive Animals||Baby Beefalo • Butterfly • Chester • Crow • Gobbler • Mandrake • Rabbit (Beardling) • Redbird • Smallbird • Snowbird • (Glommer • Moleworm )|
|Other||Abigail • Charlie • Maxwell • Pig King|
|Naturally spawning world objects|
|Plants||Berry Bush • Carrot • Cave Banana Tree • Cave Lichen • Flower (Evil Flower, Fern) • Grass • Light Flower • Lureplant • Mandrake • Mushrooms • Mushtree • Plant • Reeds • Sapling • Spiky Bush • Tree • Totally Normal Tree|
|Mobs and Mob Housing||Beehive • Hound Mound • Pond • Pig Fortress • Pig House • Pig King • Pig Torch • Rabbit Hutch • Rundown House • Slurtle Mound • Spider Den • Spilagmite • Splumonkey Pod • Tallbird Nest • Walrus Camp • Worm Hole|
|Inanimate||Ancient Pseudoscience Station • Ancient Statue • Basalt • Boulder • Gramaphone • Grave • Harp Statue • Headstone • Suspicious Dirt Pile • Marble Pillar • Marble Tree • Maxwell's Door • Maxwell Statue • Maxwell's Light • Merm Head • Nightmare Light • Nightmare Lock • Nightmare Throne • Obelisk • Ornate Chest • Pig Head • Pillars • Relic • Sinkhole • Skeleton • Stalagmite • Touch Stone • Thulecite Wall|
|Things||Box Thing • Crank Thing • Eye Bone • Metal Potato Thing • Ring Thing • Wooden Thing|