Mods (short for modifications) are external changes of Don't Starve game content from what it originally was. Mods are usually developed by the Don't Starve community. They present new player experiences and tweaks to the game, such as making the game easier or harder, or modifying game attributes that change the way certain elements in the DS World function.
There are various kinds of mods including Modding Tools, Game Modifications, Language Packs, Custom Maps and new Characters.
Installing Mods Edit
Players should know that Klei is not able to help you should issues arise while using mods. Use with caution!
Here is a simple procedure for installing mods, however, some mods may have different installation procedures. The following procedure is just a reference for players.
- Download a mod either from the Steam Workshop or Klei Forums' Dowonloads Section.
- If downloading from the Workshop, all you need to do is go into the game and activate the mod from the "Mods" menu.
- If downloading from the fourms, unzip the mod folder under :
\steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\mods (If you are on Mac, right click dontstarve_steam and click show package contents. If you're on the non-Steam version, the Don't Starve folder should be in C
:<code>\Programm Files\Don't Starvefor Windows machines.)</code>
If players have accidentally installed mods incorrectly, then usually the best thing to do is to use the backup players have made. However there is an alternative method if players forget to create backup.
- Go to steam folder. This is usually either in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
- Go to
- If players have modified a folder to install a mod, then delete the folder. In 99% of cases so far, players should only have to delete their scripts folder. Now, some of the players may realize that this is like dropping a bomb to kill a spider, but that's okay. It just guarantees that all traces of mods are removed.
- Go into the steam library.
- Right click Don't Starve, go to properties.
- Go to the tab labelled Local Files.
- Click Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
- Steam will help recover game files.
Creating Mods Edit
Before creating new mods, players should read Player Creation Guidelines. Players are recommended to be familiar with Lua and TEX file format before creating any mods. Here is a tutorial for creating mods.
Modding Tools Edit
|Klei Studio||Handsome Matt||Hungry for your hunger||||Edit TEX and animation files of Don't Starve|
|Mod Library||WrathOf||The End is Nigh||||Provide support for modders and additional functions|
Language Pack Edit
Players may download a language pack if their language is not supported by the game. Search through them here.