|“||Everybody loves a little mining.||”|
The Opulent Pickaxe is a variant of the normal Pickaxe that has four times as much durability and requires Gold instead of Flint, allowing Flint to be saved for other uses. It requires 2 Gold Nuggets and 4 Twigs to craft and an Alchemy Engine to prototype.
To mine an object with the Pickaxe, right-click it from the inventory to equip it and left-click on the object. Once the character begins to mine, hold down the LMB or Spacebar to keep mining until the object breaks. Alternatively, one can mine faster by repeatedly clicking LMB with specific timing.
Both Pickaxes can be used as a weapon, dealing 27.2 damage per strike. The Pickaxe has 33 uses, meaning each strike will reduce 3% of its durability; whether it was used as a weapon or to mine rocks. The Opulent Pickaxe has 132 uses, meaning each strike will reduce 0.68% of its durability.
It takes 6 strikes to completely break down a boulder, while Marble objects may take 6-10 strikes. The Pickaxe can mine 5 and a half boulders in its lifetime, while the Opulent Pickaxe can mine 22 boulders in its lifetime.
- The Opulent Pickaxe was added in the October 2, 2012 update.
- The Pickaxe used to have a value of 1-10 Science Points depending on its durability while the Opulent Pickaxe had 1-35.
- When Wilson examines the Pickaxe, he says, "Iconic, isn't it?", which may be a reference to Minecraft, a sandbox game where a pickaxe is featured heavily.
- In reality, gold is not a practical metal to be used in tools or weapons as it is a soft metal; it would easily deform and break. This is often remarked when examined by some Characters.
- Maxwell breaks the fourth wall upon examining the Opulent Pickaxe when he states, "This must be game logic".
- There is a glitch where the Pickaxe (and perhaps other tools) can have 0% durability and remain equipped in the weapon slot instead of breaking. It disappears when the player opens and closes the map, unequips the tool, or quits and resumes the game. Trying to mine something with the bugged Pickaxe will often crash the game.