|“||I get crazy when I don't sleep.||”|
Sanity is the character's "mental health" in Don't Starve. The Sanity icon, represented as a picture of a brain, is located near the character's Health and Hunger. Characters can gain and lose sanity in various ways. A small animated arrow appears over the icon, indicating an increase or decrease in Sanity. The size of the arrow signifies the rate of gain or loss.
As sanity decreases, the player's vision becomes shaky, over-saturated, and bright, whispers are heard, and Shadow Creatures start to appear. These creatures become aggressive and will attack the player when your sanity is below 15%.
Being alone in the wilderness will take its toll. Generally speaking, being in close proximity to Monsters, Darkness, Rain, or eating bad Food decreases sanity; while wearing certain clothing, eating Jerky and Crock Pot food, being near friendly Pigs, and sleeping increases sanity. See the Sanity Tables below for a complete list.
Instant Sanity Table
|• Sleeping in a |
• Eating as WX-78
|• Sleeping in a ||+33|
|• Repairing a ||+20|
|• Killing ||+15|
|• Eating ||+10|
|• Eating a||+7.5|
|• Eating Crock Pot Dishes except for ||+5|
|• Using a||-1|
|• Eating ||-5|
|• Eating Spoiled Food||-10|
|• Eating |
• Attacks by Charlie
|• Reading ||-33|
|• Eating ||-50|
|• Using a||-55 Max Sanity|
|• Resurrection via||Set to 1/2|
Temporal Sanity Table
|• Sanity aura of a||≤+25|
|• Sanity aura of a friendly||≤+25||Must be very close to benefit from aura.|
|• Playing as||+20|
|• Being near a fire ( only)||+≤10||Amount depends on strength of fire.|
|• Sanity aura of||+6.25||Must be very close to benefit from aura.|
|• Wearing||+2||The 5 amulets will restore sanity as long as they are equipped.|
|• Wearing ||-2||For One-Man Band this is the default insanity aura without followers.|
|• Insanity aura of||-3||Only when active.|
|• Rain||≤-3.3||Sanity loss depends on "precipitation rate".|
|• Wearing soaked items.||≤?|
|• Dusk, Night and Caves||-5|
|• Total darkness||-50|
|• Insanity aura of||≤-25|
|• Wearing and having or
(-25 per follower)
|• Insanity aura of||≤-40|
|• Insanity aura of||≤-40||Shadow Creatures spawned from Nightmare Lights are not present during the "warning" phase of the Nightmare Cycle.|
|• Insanity aura of||≤-100|
|• Insanity aura of||≤-400|
- WX-78 - 100-300 Max Sanity (depending on upgrades)
- Wickerbottom - 250 Max Sanity
- Wilson, Wendy, Wolfgang, Woodie, Maxwell - 200 Max Sanity
- Wes - 150 Max Sanity
- Willow - 120 Max Sanity
- Wigfrid - 120 Max Sanity
- Webber - 100 Max Sanity
Characters with the potential to stay sane longer:
- Maxwell - Sanity is restored at a rate of 20 points per minute.
- Wendy - Less Sanity is lost while in darkness or near monsters.
- Willow - Negates Sanity loss at night while near a fire.
- Wolfgang - Even though monsters drain 10% more Sanity, fights can end quicker when "Mighty", meaning less time spent near Sanity-draining auras.
- Mr. Skits will appear.
- Eyes appear in the darkness.
- The screen will shake.
- Lighting is desaturated in overworld and caves. Lighting brightens in the Ruins.
- Whispering can be heard.
- The screen is surrounded by red tendrils.
- Crawling Horrors and Terrorbeaks will attack.
- Player holds head with hands and rocks back and forth.
- The "day to night" transition jingle becomes warped.
- Lighting becomes dim.
- Sanity was added in the Insanity! update.
- Distortion can be turned off in the Options menu, removing the blurry effect on the edges of the screen that occurs from Sanity loss. This can also boost performance on slow systems.
|Activities||Cooking • Crafting • Farming • Fishing • Sleeping|
|Environment||Day-Night Cycle • Moon Cycle • Nightmare Cycle • Earthquake • Lightning • Rain|
|Seasons||Summer • Winter • (Autumn • Spring )|
|Mechanics||Beard • Biome • Characters • Charlie • Controls • Death • Durability • Experience • Fire • Food Spoilage • Freezing • Health • Hunger • Light • Map • Naughtiness • Non-renewable resources • Sanity • Saving • Structures (Wetness • Overheating )|
|Mode||Adventure Mode • Sandbox Mode • Caves • Ruins • Don't Starve Together|
|Others||Pig Village • Road (Trail) • Graveyard • Ocean • Abyss • Bridge • Set Piece • Things • Morgue|