|Special Ability||Lays a in its nest|
|Damage||37.5 (peck: 2)|
|Attack Period||2 (peck: 4)|
|Special Ability||Slowly grows into a|
|“||Free from the shackles of the sky.||”|
Tallbirds are black, two-legged, flightless Birds normally found in Rockyland biomes. They guard their Tallbird Nest, attacking anything nearby. They are considered innocent creatures even though they are not passive or neutral, and killing one adds 2 points to the player's naughtiness level. Tallbirds take three blasts from the Ice Staff to be frozen. If killed, they will respawn after 2.5 days.
Tallbirds lay a speckled pale-blue Tallbird Egg. Tallbird Eggs do not spoil and can be used in a Crock Pot or hatched into a Smallbird. If a Tallbird Egg is stolen, the Tallbird will chase the player for 3-5 screens. At night (and sometimes during the day), the Tallbird will curl up in its nest. The player can push a Tallbird off its nest to steal a Tallbird Egg, but it will wake up after few seconds and give chase (sometimes it's possible to steal the egg without having to touch the bird). If a Tallbird is attacked while it is asleep, it will remain "curled up" for a few seconds, allowing the player to land a few hits before it wakes up.
See also: Hatching Tallbird Egg
Smallbirds are passive mobs that have been hatched from a Tallbird Egg. A Smallbird will grow into a Teenbird (or Smallish Tallbird) after 10 full days. They are considered innocent creatures and killing one adds 6 points to the player's naughtiness level.
Smallbirds require 20 hunger points per day and will demand food by chirping when hungry ( < 50%). When starving ( = 0), they will die after 4 game hours (2 minutes). They can be fed raw Berries and any type of Seeds. They will eat seeds off the ground when they are hungry. Eating anything heals them to full health.
Smallbirds will follow the player and attack the player's targets. If the player moves far enough away from the Smallbird while it is sleeping at night, then it will wake up to move closer to the player before falling asleep again. Since they have very small Health, players must be careful when fighting strong mobs or groups of them. Other birds won't run away from Smallbirds and can be a good way to get Feathers and Morsels. Note that Smallbirds can trigger Tooth Traps and Bee Mines, likely killing them.
When idle, a Smallbird will either bounce around or cock its head/body at an angle with a puzzled look.
Commonly known as Smallish Tallbirds, Teenbirds are neutral Mobs that were once Smallbirds. After 18 full days, Smallish Tallbird will grow into a Tallbird, becoming aggressive when approached.
Like Smallbirds, Smallish Tallbirds will follow the player from a distance, but they will also attack the player's targets or enemies that are nearby. They are considered innocent creatures and killing one adds 6 points to the player's naughtiness level. If the player is wearing a Spiderhat, the Smallish Tallbird will peck the player until the hat is removed.
Smallish Tallbirds require 60 hunger points per day and will begin to chirp more and more until fed. When starving, they will attack the player (2 damage per hit), and will die after 8 game hours (4 minutes) if not fed. Eating anything heals 1/3 of their maximum health. They will eat any Meat, Fruit or Vegetable, including Glow Berries, Rotten Eggs, and Rot. Smallish Tallbirds will eat food left on the ground.
Reign of GiantsEdit
Fighting Strategy Edit
Tallbirds cannot be stun-locked, but can be kited. There is only a short interval between their attacks. The safe method is to dodge its attack, attack it once, then dodge again. It's possible to attack twice and run out of its pecking range after it scratches the ground. Note that Tallbirds can leap over small gaps between two landmasses.
Tallbirds will only chase the target that aggro'd it. They will not change targets even if something else attacks them. This can be exploited to kill them safely by making them aggro on Chester or other followers and then attack the Tallbird without retaliation.
Tallbirds can be put to sleep with Sleep Dart or Pan Flute. They can also be set on fire using Fire Dart or a Fire Staff, causing it to panic. Usually, the fire will go out before doing enough damage to kill the bird. Note that they can spread fire to their nests, which will permanently stop it from respawning.
Below is the number of hits it takes (with a default damage modifier) to kill a Tallbird/Teenbird/Smallbird. (The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.)
|No. of hits for||95||30||24||15||14||12||10||7-14||6 or 10||8||7||7||6||4||4||2||1|
|No. of hits for||71||23||18||12||10||9||8||6-11||5 or 7||6||6
|No. of hits for||12||4||3||2||2||2||2||1-2||1 or 2||1||1||1||1||2||1||1||1|
- Tallbirds run faster than the player.
- In previous versions, the Tallbird's chase timer would only reset after they attempted to attack, resulting in them chasing the player indefinitely.
- Unlike many other creatures, Tallbirds will not defend each other.
- Tallbirds may spawn together in a Set Piece called a "Tallfort", where 20 or so Tallbird nests are placed in a square around multiple Boulders.
- Maxwell mentions the Tallbirds may have been a failed experiment.
- Tallbirds cannot make new nests after a nest is destroyed.
- Although eggs hatched by the player create Smallbirds, eggs left in a nest without an adult Tallbird present will create an instant adult.
- In older versions of the game, Abigail would aggro and kill Smallbirds. Since the "Strange New Powers" update, Abigail has come to accept all friendly "Followers".
- If a Smallish Tallbird eats a damaging food item, it will regain the health it lost.
- (PC) A Smallbird can be used as a Steam chat emoticon.
- (PC) Two Smallbirds can be seen on a Steam profile wallpaper, which can be earned by crafting or trading.
- A Smallish Tallbird may stop following the player if it can't reach targeted food on the ground and the player moves out of range (this may also happen from eating too much rot - not being fed directly by the player).
- If a Smallish Tallbird stops following the player, it will keep distance and won't accept food directly, only if it is on the ground.
- A Smallbird may vanish as it hatches from its egg.
- If a Tallbird gets stuck on the other side of an ocean barrier, it may still be able to strike and harm the player.
- If a Smallbird gets stuck on the other side of an ocean barrier, you can enter a cave and then exit the cave to fix the bug. Relogging will not fix this issue.
- Feeding a Smallbird/Smallish Tallbird during the growing animation may cancel the animation process. Relogging will fix the issue.
|Hostile Creatures||Batilisk • Cave Spider • Clockwork Bishop • Clockwork Rook • Clockwork Knight • Dangling Depth Dweller • Depths Worm • Frog • Guardian Pig • Ghost • Shadow Creature • Hound (Red Hound • Blue Hound) • Killer Bee • Lureplant • MacTusk • Merm • Mosquito • Spider • Spider Warrior • Spitter • Tallbird • Tentacle (Big Tentacle • Baby Tentacle) • Wee MacTusk • (Poison Birchnut Tree • Varg )|
|Boss Monsters||Ancient Guardian • Deerclops • Spider Queen • Treeguard • (Bearger • Dragonfly • Moose/Goose )|
|Neutral Animals||Bee • Beefalo • Bunnyman (Beardlord) • Koalefant • Krampus • Pengull • Pig (Werepig) • Rock Lobster • Snurtle • Slurtle • Smallish Tallbird • Splumonkey • (Buzzard • Catcoon • Volt Goat )|
|Passive Animals||Baby Beefalo • Butterfly • Chester • Crow • Gobbler • Mandrake • Rabbit (Beardling) • Redbird • Smallbird • Snowbird • (Glommer • Moleworm )|
|Other||Abigail • Charlie • Maxwell • Pig King|