Has trouble staying alive
Wes is the seventh unlockable Character. He is a fragile French mime that uses pantomimes to communicate instead of speaking.
Wes was introduced to the game to provide a challenge to experience player therefore he's very weak overall. Wes has a maximum of 150 Sanity and 113 Health and Hunger, which drains faster than most Characters. He also does less damage in both melee and ranged combat. Since he's a Balloonomancer Wes can use his Pile o' Balloons to make different balloons.
UnlockingIn the third chapter of Adventure Mode, if the map is not Two Worlds a set piece will appear, which will have two chambers with a Maxwell Statue in each one, and a third one with Wes in the middle.
When players break one of the statues, it will release various non-damaged Clockwork Monsters. After breaking all the statues and defeating the Clockwork Monsters, go to the chamber where Wes is trapped. More Bishops, Knights and Rooks will spawn and the player will need to defeat them.
After all monsters are cleared, Wes will pass out, fall on the ground, and disappear. Wes is now unlocked as a playable character.
- Main article: Pile o' Balloons
When a balloon is attacked, it explodes, doing 5 damage to anything nearby (Including Wes). Balloons can also trigger other balloons to explode, so this can be used to do massive chain reactions. Balloons can also be used to distract Mobs.
Wes' hunger drains 25% faster than most Character and he deals 25% less damage in combat, making it harder to survive. Player should harvest as much food as possible and use other mobs or Wes' ballons to distract enemies and flee. His maximum stats are also low as a whole making him easy to go insane and vulnerable to attacks compared to other Characters.
Since he doesn't speak players need to rely on audio ques to be warned about incoming threats, and no information about objects can be learned from examining them.
- Ballons can be used to lure mobs to traps or to other hostile mobs for some easy loot.
- Weapons that deal indirect damage (Fire Dart, Gunpowder etc.) are not affected by Wes' damage multiplier making them excellent choices for him.
- A Belt of Hunger will nullify Wes' Hunger problems. This along with the fact that it provides some Sanity regeneration makes it an excellent item for this character.
- In the Reign of Giants (RoG) DLC players are able to craft a Hibearnation Vest which also provides a Hunger drain reduction albeit not as big as the Belt of Hunger. That said, the Hibearnation Vest provides the highest insulation against cold and more than twice the Sanity regeneration of the Belt, making it more desirable in Winter even after the player has secured a Belt of Hunger.
- Wes was added in Insanity! update, unlockable in Adventure Mode from The End of the Beginning update.
- Wes used to be the sixth unlockable character via experience points, but due to an update this has changed and Wes now has to be found in Adventure mode to play him, although if Wes was unlocked before the update, he will remain unlocked.
- When playing as Maxwell and Locked Wes is examined, Maxwell states "He displeased me.", hinting at either a shared history between the two or bad performance at Wes' part in Maxwell's wilderness.
- At first Wes only had reduced stats but after the Strange New Powers update he got the Pile o' Ballons.
- Despite its status Wes still has higher maximum Sanity than Willow and Webber and higher maximum Health than Maxwell.
- When struck by Lightning in RoG, Wes, like most other characters, is shown to have bones in his hair.
- In RoG, the Pile o' Ballons can be given to a Catcoon to befriend them, but this is not advised as to get them back the Catcoon must die and similar results can be achieved with simple Twigs.
|Wilson quotes ⋅ clothes • Willow quotes ⋅ clothes • Wolfgang quotes ⋅ clothes • Wendy quotes ⋅ clothes • WX-78 quotes ⋅ clothes • Wickerbottom quotes ⋅ clothes • Woodie quotes ⋅ clothes • Wes quotes ⋅ clothes • Maxwell quotes ⋅ clothes • Wigfrid quotes ⋅ clothes • Webber quotes ⋅ clothes • Unimplemented|